Why You Should Become a Technical Official
Swimming NSW conducts training in all technical aspects of swimming. New officials are constantly in demand. You can help!! Swimming Championships and Meets are conducted by Clubs, Areas, State and National Bodies. Swimming Australia qualified Technical Officials officiate at these various Meets.
A swim meet needs a lot of officials – in an eight lane pool at least 40 are necessary if the Meet is to run well. Being an official is an excellent way of supporting your children in their favourite sport.
There are also some fringe benefits! If you volunteer before the meet and get your name on the roster, you will normally have free pool entry. You will receive a complimentary program, and lunch and snacks are usually provided at full day meets. At State and National meets you can apply for free parking.
Things to remember:
- Technical Officials provide the swimming community with a precious gift – time.
- Without Technical Officials there will be no swim meets and therefore the swimmers have no competition.
- Every time you work at a swim meet you help young Australians achieve their goals and stay healthy.
- Once qualified you can work Metropolitan/Country, State and even Nationals. All assistance during Club races is greatly appreciated.
How to Become a Technical Official
The training and assessment of technical officials is organised by the ATSC. “ATSC” is short for Area Technical Swimming Coordinator. Tell your Club that you want to become a qualified technical official or gain extra qualifications.
You must be a registered member of Swimming NSW and of secondary school age or older. Your Club will contact the Area ATSC who will:
- organise the venue, date and time for your training
- organise a qualified presenter and a qualified assessor to train and assess you
Technical Official Positions on the pool deck :
|Check Starter||Marshal (Clerk of course)|
|Starter||Control Room Supervisor/ Recorder|
|Operator of AOE||Inspector of Turns|
|Judge of Stroke||Referee|
Laurieton Swimming Club has 2 accredited Presenters and Assessors.
Please contact Ann Pilkie or Margaret Cornall if you would like to be trained in any of these technical positions.